If you have forgotten to include something in your tax return or just made a mistake, you need to correct your tax return.

How to track the progress of your tax return

If you want to check the progress of your tax return in the quickest and easiest way you can use our self-help services.

Online returns process in 14 days (2 weeks ) while paper takes up to 50 business days (10 weeks). We can show paper returns up to 7 weeks in our systems. If your tax return requires manual checks processing it may take longer.

You can check the progress:

When your tax return processes, we’ll issue a notice of assessment that will show:

  • tax you owe on your taxable income
  • credit you have for tax already paid during the income year
  • tax amounts you need to pay or will receive as a refund.

If you link your myGov account to the ATO you can check the progress of your tax return or amendments using ATO online services.

And if you lodge with a registered tax agent, you or your agent can check the progress of your tax return anytime by signing in to ATO online services through myGov or the ATO app.


When you check the progress of your tax return using our online services, you might see one of these statuses:

  • In progress – Processing
  • In progress – Information pending
  • In progress – Under review
  • In progress – Balancing account
  • Extra processing time is required
  • Issued – $ Amount

We may send you an email or SMS to let you know:

  • if your tax return or refund has been delayed and why
  • when your refund is on its way.

If your tax return is delayed, we will contact you if we need more information and will keep you or your agent informed of any ongoing delays.

Your notice of assessment

Your notice of assessment and tax receipt will be sent to your myGov Inbox, if you have a myGov account linked to the ATO. You will receive an email or SMS from myGov.

A paper notice of assessment and a tax receipt will be sent to the postal address we have for you, if you lodge your tax return by mail.

If you need help with any of the above information please contact us at SMG Accounting and we can assist you with everything related to your tax return.